Friday, March 14, 2008

We made it!

The weary travelers have made it to Guangzhou, China! (Finally).

The 6 hour flight from Tokyo was very nice and we made it to China without incident. Peter, our Chinese guide from the adoption agency, was waiting for us with a CODEN sign as soon as we got done with customs. I felt just like Brittany Spears...but not really. 

The ride from the airport to the White Swan hotel was about 40 minutes. We got to see some of Guangzhou on the way. It's a very congested city (10 million) people. The smog didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would, but most of the buildings are very old and run down (at least what we saw). Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has laundry hanging on their balconies. It's crazy! The temperature is nice here. I'd guess it's somewhere in the 70's.

The White Swan hotel is very pretty and everyone is SO nice. The service is outstanding. There is even a girl who stands by the elevator and she lets us know which way to go to our room when we get off. The first time I did it, I went the wrong way and she probably saw me. (Stupid American!) We're in a small room for tonight and tomorrow night because Sunday we leave for Chongqing for five days. Chongqing is where FuLan's orphange is and that is where FuLan is! Sunday is FuLan day!!!

We have tomorrow to explore (and eat some more--I swear, everyone says they lose weight on this trip but we have been eating non-stop). Tomorrow is our last day without a child. It's so surreal. FuLan is clueless. She has no idea that her life is about to totally change.

It's 8:16 at night here now and though I think we're almost over our jet lag, we're definitely tired. We're not getting on each other's nerves yet so that's good. Our room tonight has twin beds. I wonder if Cody is going to end up on the floor??? I miss Floyd. 
XO r & c (but mostly me--Cody is totally crashed out).

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Robyn 和Cody -

我是很激动为你们两个和FuLan! (this means I'm so excited for both of you and FuLan - at least that is what it's supposed to say)

I love reading the blog and knowing that FuLan will soon meet her loving and wonderful parents!

xoxo,

Brian

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you've made it!
sunday is going to be amazing- we're so thrilled and crazy excited for you guys!
xo
ang

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys made it, we are thinking about you.
How exciting it is to be so close to meeting Fulan and falling even deeper in love, it's very cool!

looking forward to seeing a few pictures of your new family....until you get home to Floyd of course~

xo K,S,M

Anonymous said...

I can't stop thinking about you!! So happy you made it there safe and sound.

I love checking the blog for updates, and I am dying to read about when you meet your daughter for the first time.

Love and miss you,
Abbey, Andy, Luci and Nadia

JMM said...

It's getting really exciting on this side of the pond as well. I have to admit, I never thought I'd get excited to log into someone's blog each day, but this voyerism thing is turning out to be very cool. Thanks for keeping us posted. Can't wait to read what its like when you all get to meet each other :-)

Lots of love and kisses and even a few tears of joy!

Malks

Anonymous said...

Ni Hao you two! This is Val Epstein, David's wife. We haven't met, but your folks have been keeping us posted. We can't wait to meet little Fu Lan. We've seen her pictures and she is darling. If you get a chance, there is a great little Italian place on Shamian Island. I forget the name but just ask around. Also, there is a mall underneath the Guangzhou Airport that seems to be a secret for some reason...lots of cute stuff for Fu Lan there! CONGRATULATIONS! David and Val

Kacz said...

The mania has reached L.A.!

Anonymous said...

You both made it! Love it!

No-one is more excited than Floydie and me.....Fulan has no idea what she is getting into but IT will be the best thing that ever happened to her......Robyn and Cody will make awsome parents... I cant wait to take Fulan to camp this summer....

Home is not the same without the Coden clan....cant wait for Sunday..........Fulan DAY

Love, uncle fun-Auntie NAgs

Rachel said...

Glad you made it! Enjoy tomorrow and get some shopping done!!

Shawnstribe said...

hugs and kisses from the UK
xxxxx
s
ps go shop girl and dont forget the squeeky shoes : )

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that sunday is almost here. Give my newest granddaughter a BIG hug and kiss from her Grammy. To the both of you this must seem so surreal. Welcome to the world of parenting. Love,
Mom(Sherry & Jill too)

Anonymous said...

OH Rob!!!
Just a few hours till FuLan time! Enjoy that last day of 'non-children' - lol - the next 18-25 years are going to flyyyyyyyyyyyyyy by....I'm so very happy for you guys!

Know you're loved and prayed for...Lucky FuLan....Lucky Rob & Cody ---- Lucky friends and family!

Aunti Jer!