Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mommy-isms (Just a few)

I'll have to have my secretary get back to you.

I love my Uncle Fun!



These chairs really should be in the kitchen...


The "Fray J Squat" dance move



Hey, where did my balloon go? I've been robbed!


In the last few days, I have bounced some child rearing questions off some of my girlfriends, and after brief discussions with all of them, here is what I have come up with:


Mommy-ism #1:
Unless your instinct says it's a real problem, we need not stress about progress--and we definitely shouldn't compare our kids to other kids. Easier said than done? Probably, but look around...how many adults do you see out there who are still crawling, eating their boogers or throwing food? (Fraternity boys are exempt as an answer--and it's a rhetorical question anyway).

Mommy-ism #2:
I told my friend Liz that I was a little worried that Frankie wasn't doing everything that she should be doing as listed in the What To Expect: The Toddler Years book. We spoke at length and concluded that although Frankie (at 20 mos) can not presently throw a ball underhand, she can, on the other hand, recite the entire "ABC" song so that still makes her brilliant and I'm not going to read that book anymore.

Mommy-ism #3:
Abbey and I have decided that if your child is crying incessently for some unknown reason (and you have confirmed that she is safe, changed, fed, not sick or harming herself) it's OK to turn off the monitor for a bit. I won't tell anyone and I promise that not only will she not hold it against you years from now, but she won't remember in the morning.

Mommy-ism #4:
We are doing fine as parents. We aren't perfect and we make mistakes-- but on balance, we are doing fine. My friend Patti and I have decided that many parents WAY dumber than us have managed to raise kids who can color in the lines and eat with a fork and spoon, so I'm pretty confident that we will get there as well.

10 comments:

Rachel said...

Cute pictures! I totally agree on all your points!

Talk to you soon!
Rachel

Anonymous said...

aww she is growing up so fast and she is wonderful don't worry about what other kids can do - what other kid does karate at her age???she is awesome and will always be awesome!!!!!! Love Auntie Nic xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

she is adorable. Thanks for the blog, I feel like know her and am part of your life again. Keep 'em coming. Love, Berkie (i was gonna put my first name, but i seriously don't know if you would have known it was me)

Anonymous said...

What...she isn't WRITING her abc's yet? Bring'er down to Texas, darlin' and we'll show her how to do it!

Can't wait...
xo,
a, arpp, l and n

Sharon said...

So cute! Is it okay if I lock myself in another room and cry too on occasion ?

~Robyn (www.dimsumanddoughnuts.com) said...

Oh yes, locking yourself up and crying for a bit is A MUST!!!!!

Laura said...

Too cute - I'll put these little tidbits of advice away to pull out at a later date when I need them. :-) And the pictures are adorable!

Andy said...

JWB

Happy New Year to you and your family. Please come out with us some at Windthrow's site in Canada.

http://adopttalkcanada.com/forum/

Take care

arw

Unknown said...

next lesson, after using the fork and knife, is which side of the plate do they go on; so she can set the table for dinner while mom & dad have cocktails.
i still haven't got that one memorized, so i recommend starting immediately

Shawnstribe said...

you girl girl
that is def Mommy life
guessing and in the end just letting things be when we really can't change things ; )
Hows you?
pls send news of bump?
Im so excited for you guys
xxx
s