Sunday, March 16, 2008

FJC Day (Frankie Jade Coden Day)









The pictures actually start from the bottom up (I messed up, I'm tired). We started at the airport, we didn't end there.
Anyway, this was our day yesterday--the "Day of Frankie..."

We had an early breakfast before leaving Guangzhou and the White Swan hotel. All three familes (The Norris', the Simpsons' and us) met up with Peter at 8:50 AM to go back to the Guangzhou airport. (See the bottom two pictures). We did the whole security and baggage thing and got on a 2 hour flight to Chongqing (worst flight ever--thankfully we were all together so we could laugh about how horrible it was). We got off the flight only to get into a van so we could drive another 3 hours to the orphanage. When I tell you the ride was the craziest ride ever--I'm not kidding.

I don't think there is any way for me to describe it so you get the full effect, so let me just say that we drove through slums that made Detroit look like freakin' Malibu, roads that were broken up so badly our driver had to beep the horn so others knew we were coming because there was no way to drive on our side of the road, and the rest stops-- oh, the rest stops...I just won't even go there. Trust me, you don't want me to. Wendy, Cathy and I decided that we are traumatized for life from the rest stops. There is no toilet in China. There is like a porcelin thing in the ground and you can imagine what it's filled with and what is all around it. Yeah... I'm supposed to squat and go in there? Um....REALLY????
BARF.
Needless to say, my beverage intake was MINIMAL yesterday.

Anyway, after a very long and tiring day, we finally made it to the orphanage, nauseaus and anxious, around 5:00 PM. It was wet, cold and rainy. Perfect. We first had to go to the office of the Orphanage Director. He had us sign some papers and he gave us the camera we sent with Frankie's care package. The rest of the time we spent there was kind of a blur so I'll try to remember as much as I can:

We were told where Frankie was dropped off (by the front gate) and I just lost it. I regained my composure back in our van just in time to go into the orphanage. Our visit there was very brief. We walked in and I remember it was much smaller than I thought it would be (and it smelled really bad). The smell was overwhelming. Now, the people who know me real well are probably cracking up because I KNOW I HAVE SMELL ISSUES , but I'm telling you, it was pretty rancid.
I believe the Simpsons' were given Cameron first, and then the Norris' were given Catherine and after what seemed like an eternity, one of the caregivers reached into a crib and pulled little Frankie Jade Coden out and then she handed her to us.

FINALLY. While the other two babies were crying instantly (that is a good thing, it shows that they were attached to their caregivers), Frankie was just looking around, not making a peep.
We were hardly in the orphanage for a moment, I didn't even really get a chance to see the other kids (which was probably a good thing), and before I knew it, we were being whisked off back into the van for a long, three hour ride to our new hotel in Chongquing.
Frankie did great on the ride to the hotel. All the babies did. She had some trouble with all the bumps from the broken road, but who wouldn't?

We were exhausted when we got here but not too tired to notice that our hotel suite is SWEET and we should be very comfortable here for the next five days. Frankie was not into the bath we tried to give her but she slept pretty good last night.
We have had a pretty rough day with her today but we are optimistic that each day will get a little better. She has several of the "institutional issues" that I was afraid of, but also expecting. On top of that, it seems she is teething and probably constipated (the gas this little girl lets off would bring Bin Laden out of his hiding place). She won't let us feed her so we've had to resort to getting liquid to her through the dropper that comes with the Baby Motrin. She mostly cries a lot which is hard because I know some of it is grief and some of it is from just being uncomfortable.

I about lost it today when she had one crying spell I didn't think was going to end, but I felt so much better after I read all of your great comments. Cody, I don't know how, is still managing to make me laugh. He is unreal. He rocks as a Dad. He's even better than I thought he would be. Wait til ya'll see him in action. He's a natural and it only makes him hotter than he already was!

We love you guys. You are all so "fetch." (Hee hee)

30 comments:

otis said...

Hi, We can't wait to kiss those cheeks on her. Jesse saw her picture and said Is that my new friend??? We can't wait to hang!!!!!!

Greta said...

yeah!!!! i beat Nags to the comments today!!! Reading that made me cry!! i'm so happy and overwhelmed for you guys. I'm so glad you are there for each other and you both ROCK as parents. Each day will get easier for all of you. The picture of you on the bus sleeping is priceless. We love you. Hang in there. We leave for Fla. today. You ARE fetch.
Greta, Scott, Claire and Mason

Anonymous said...

what a day!!
so thrilled to see pictures of your beautiful daughter and family!!
love it!
can't wait for her first "winner, winner chicken dinner!!"
:o)
yah- we'll take her to the GOOD PLACE!! not that hack-job across the street!!

xoxoxo
A2

Anonymous said...

I don't want to leave the blog. The pictures of my beautiful granddaughter are amazing.I am so happy for you. Things will get easier with each passing day.I am sending lots of hugs and kisses to the 3 of you.

Mom

JMM said...

Tears of joy streaming over my computer. You both look so natural holding your daughter Frankie and she is just adorable. Stay strong and enjoy every second of the new love.

Malks

Anonymous said...

Oh my G-d Frankie is so so yummy! I cant wait to see her...She is so Fetch and Fabu! She will get better and better everyday.....I'm so glad i missed out on the rest stop...thanks but NO! I'm not surprised that the two of you are laughing and still keeping it real....Enjoy her...She is your princess...

Come Home!

Nagler
P.S. greta : I'll beat you tomorrow.. your Fetch... Do you love whats going on on GH? JM is so HOT! love it!

Anonymous said...

I can't stop crying. She is so beautiful. Those pictures are amazing. It will get easier each day (and then when it gets harder again we will babysit). But really, we love you all and cannot wait until you come home. Adler keeps asking when he gets to finally meet her(and of course show her the ropes and secret hiding places in camp).

J, R, A, & P

Anonymous said...

IT IS SOOOOOOO THRILLING TO READ ABOUT THIS WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE. WE ARE JUST THRILLED FOR YOU ALL, FRANKIE LOOKS ADORABLE AND YOU SO HAPPY. I WOULD LOVE TO BABYSIT.

LOVE
SHERRY AND BOBvobazbr

Anonymous said...

Goooooooood Morining, Gooooooood Morning, It is truly wake up time, wake up time for everyone. What a story. Ker was reading it out loud as we were eating breakfast, and we could only imagine the expereince of what you guys are going through. We are so excited, nervous, tearful, and relieved all at the same time. A part of us feels like we are there with you. We can not wait to have you back in the U.S. of A with Frankie. Great name by the way. All will get easier they say...hmmmm. I think those people have convienient amnesia of the early times, or maybe they are grandparents that are so far removed and just get the grandkids for a couple hour at a time and then say, "here ya go, good luck to ya"! The true part is, it does go really fast, and the changes are amazing in such a short period of time. You'll get many future chances when you think you were too tired, or lacking patience. All we can offer is, get some sleep when you can, trade off, be easy on yourselves because you are both amazing people and will be amazing parents no doubt.
AND soon you will be home with your extended family that awaits with open arms and open hearts...Hus and Kisses
Mak & Wakonda

Anonymous said...

I am sure you already know this, but as I read this update, I was bawling! Yes, Abbey cried...surprised? NOT! I couldn't be happier or more relieved for the three of you. I love the pictures. She is perfect, and you look so happy. "I look like my mom." Hee hee. Love it, and love the three of you. Every day gets better with a little girl.

Love,
Abbey

Hey, Judy, Jimmy, and Cary...Congrats on being grandparents! Dan and Kerri: Congrats to you too for becoming an aunt and uncle!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Red -- your eyes look like they could use a few extra winks. You've got a baby now!!! Major props to Big Daddy C. -- keep those yucks a comin', Cody.

Anonymous said...

Wow - anticipating your comments and pictures are a highlight for me each day. Tears in my eyes as I write this - so amazing - Robyn you're the best at this blogging - you have the ability to draw us all in and get a sense of what all three of you are experiencing - almost said both - but now it's three (plus Floyd state side). Love the pictures - Frankie is a doll. You and Cody the best!

Laughing at your comments about the smells and rest stops - don't worry lot of Europe has the same set up.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

xoxo Brian

Shawnstribe said...

Hi guys
take your time, give her a bbottle when she is asleep, sneak it in, its a good way to get her liquids in.
She'll probably like the congee porridge at breakfast, and dont forget to carry her lots.
These first days are a killer, but they are so very precious.
You both look great
xxxxxxxxxxxx
s

cleotis said...

Robin,
You are the best blogger ever!!! Seeing these updates makes me feel like I am right there with you guys. You have a BEAUTIFUL baby girl and you picked an AWESOME name. Hang tough and know that you and cody have many people that love you here. We can't wait for your return!!! Keep on Bloggin' and GIVE FRANKIE A BIG KISS FROM ALL OF US!!!

Randy

Rachel said...

Wow - what a day! You had so much to absorb in such a whirlwind of activity! Your description of the SWI makes me so sad for all the children still there.

Your Frankie is gorgeous and I hope every day gets better! I love following your journey and I'm so glad you caved and started a blog!

Rachel

Ally said...

Hey Robyn and Cody!
Doug and I are so excited for you! Frankie is SO cute and you did pick a great name! Congratulations! Hope to see you both soon!!

Ally and Doug Cohen

Anonymous said...

Rachel took a picture with her cell phone.... of the picture you sent of Frankie. She has it as her screen saver and shows everyone the picture of her new cousin, Frankie.

Hang in there. The best is yet to come!!!

Debbie

erin said...

Ni Hao! Congratulations you guys! Speechless here in the H.W. but smiling endlessly-She is just soo precious-and soo lucky to have you and yours. Safe journey from here on out.xoxoERin

Anonymous said...

Hello guys!

Great blog Rob. You really are good at this. Quick tip: if it seems like her baby tummy is bothering her, try bicycling her legs a few times. Also, did you buy Mylicon? That will work too. You can also just try to rub her stomach softly. This part will pass. You both have so much to look forward to. She's seriously adorable. You guys did real well. We miss you so much back here and can't wait to see you all!

tons of love,
the vieders

Anonymous said...

Our newest grandaughter is absolutely gorgeous. So cute! I'm overwhelmed with emotion everytime I read the blog. What an incredible adventure you are on, and your daily reports help all of us feel we are somehow there with you, if only in spirit, or in my dreams.

I'm comforted to know that I'm not the only one with tears in my eyes. Apparently there are a lot of people who love you both and now love your little Frankie as well.

It's hard for me to imagine feeling this kind of love for someone I have not met,never held or played peek-a-boo with but I do feel that way about Frankie. I know its partially because of the way I feel about you two and that this incredible quest is finally coming to conclusion.

We're are counting the days until all three of you come home.

All my love,

Grandpa Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I am FREAKING out, Robyn. She is sooo cute. Oh my gosh. I can't believe you finally have her. Ahhhhhh! It will get easier, I promise. Gracen was so shell-shocked the first couple of days. She will start to come out of her shell day by day. Love you all.

XOXO
Hanna and Gracen (who cooed when I showed her Frankie's pictures! :)

Anonymous said...

Fetch! Fetch! Fetch! Where's Floyd?

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! Frankie is so cute! We can't wait to smoosh her. Robyn-your update today cracked us up w/ the smells and love the play by play. You guys look so at home w/ her. Can't wait to read more. We have no words of advice as we are clueless and will be looking to you for advice soon.
xoxo
LG & Morty

Windthrow said...

wow...wow...wow

welcome to the show that never ends mommy jwb!

congratulations to you both

Windthrow

Nanc said...

Okay.we cannot get the hang of responding to this blog thing, but we LOVE reading it!!! Tears of happiness and joy are flowing in our household and beyond. Frankie Jade is truly a shining princess. Move over Queen Robyn....Cody, your royal court is growing strong and with great beauty. I cannot wait for the summer. We are going to have so much fun!! Hang in there. Things will change daily. You are now on the BEST rollercoaster ride of your life!!! That's a GOOD thing! Keep smiling,loving, and laughing. You know that you have ALL THE SUPPORT IN THE WORLD from so many people that love you .
Hugs and Kisses,
Nancy, Eric, Em, Jake,and ofcourse..........Zeke(no)
P.S. Eric already made a trip to Jack's this weekend and got Frankie her own fishing pole and lifejacket! Watch out Lake Manistee!
(Sorry, no Riv this weekend)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!
Frankie Jade is adorable.
I am so happy that she's finally in your arms. Your patience and determination to bring her home has been astounding. Be safe and enjoy every minute of this adventure. You know I'm here for support and guidance.
Love and peace
Terri

Anonymous said...

HAppy Birthday Frankie Jade. Today you are 11 months old. What a celebration we are going to have next month. I can't stop looking at your picture. I love the one with you on your mommies chest. Rob.. The info you are sending us makes us feel like we are all there with you. Thanks for sharing this unbelieveable experience with all of us.
Love you all,
Grammy

Anonymous said...

She's adorable. Can't believe you find time to update your blog with all you have to do with Frankie. Hope your bonding goes well. Look forward to meeting her when I return from Florida. Keep up the great work. Love, Geta

Kacz said...

"AND soon you will be home with your extended family that awaits with open arms and open "

SJF said it best.

Reading that and thinking of you guys and FJC brings so much joy to Hollyweird.

And the journey begins...I hope I can meet her soon!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing she is. And beautiful too! Thank you for allowing all of us to be a part of your experience. I look forward to meeting her one day soon. Love you. Marnie