Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Dog Daze
















I admit that I have rolled in my share of $hit.
I also have been known to tip over a trash can or break into the cabins at camp looking for food.
I swim in the lake and then shake where there are people around so they get sprayed.
Still and all, I am the cutest dog ever. Just ask my Mom. Ask anyone. Everyone thinks so.
It even says so on my dog tag.
Floyd Coden: Cutest dog ever.

When my Mom and Dad left for China, I had no idea where they were going or why. I sensed things were a little loony before they left, but they're a little cuckoo anyway so one never knows with them. My brother, Dakota, went to Doggie Heaven to hit on sexy poodles and eat at the 24 hour biscuit buffet only a few months before so I just assumed that they were going to get a brother for me. I couldn't understand what was taking so long though. When they rescued me, it only took one day. Where were they? No one was telling me anything. They just kept telling me how cute I was. Hello? I know that. Not helping. I am a bit of a Mama's boy and I wanted my Mama.

After 17 days, they finally came home. They were not alone though. My Dad was holding some kid. A girl. What the hell was I supposed to do with her? She didn't look fun. What was going to happen to ME? I am Mommy's "precious poochie"--everyone knows that! Was I still going to get to go to work with Mommy? Camp? What's the bed situation? When we are home and Dad is at camp, do I still get his side or does SHE? (Just kidding, Dad--no one sleeps on your side of the bed when you're at camp...that doesn't happen, I was totally kidding about that).

It took everyone a little bit of time (like 3 weeks) to get adjusted to the time change when Frankie came to our house. I helped. When they were all getting over their jet lag, I kept the same hours so no one was alone. I even slept in Frankie's room with my Mom the first night they were home (but one night was enough).

Frankie cried a lot when she first came to our house. It was kind of annoying. She was loud about it (and a little scary) but I would go to her every single time because I'm nice and I know she was scared. Plus I felt a great deal of empathy towards her: I went through 3 or 4 foster homes before landing with the Codens. I wasn't exactly scared when I went from being "Bobbie the Rescue Dog" to "Floyd Marshall Coden," but it was an adjustment nevertheless (can you believe I know that word) and I figured I would assist the metamorphosis of Feng FuLan to Frankie Jade as much as I could.

Everyone kept telling my Mom that "things would change" with our relationship when Frankie came (that drove her nutso), but really they haven't changed that much. All of the stuff we used to do, we still do--Frankie just comes too.

There are some things that Frankie doesn't get to do that I do though:
I'm allowed on Mom's bed at night when Dad is camp (no, I'm not) and Frankie doesn't come.
I go to work with Mom and Frankie doesn't come.
I attend evening programs at camp after 8:00 and Frankie doesn't come.

I am very nice to Frankie. Sometimes she pulls on my ears or swats me on the nose and I am still nice to her. Sometimes she wakes me up (see pictures above) and I never complain. We have a good thing going, me and Frankie--she leaves all kinds of food for me on her high chair and on the floor when she's eating. I never have to give her any of my food though. Does that make up for her trying to put her finger in my eye? No, but it's OK. She's just being Frankie and and I am nice to her because that is my nature. I'm Floyd Coden: Cutest dog ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adorable post...what kind of dog is Floyd? He looks to be "golden/labishish" - but he also looks very large for either breed?
Anyway, love, love, love your blog.
You have a beautiful family.
thanks for sharing!
Peace,
kath

Karin said...

Floyd,
Thanks for sharing your transition.
My dog, Trax, is getting a little suspicious and I believe a little worried with the weird kid talk that's taking place here.
I will share this with him, if you don't mind, to help ease any fears he may have.
Thanks for keeping it real.
Karin