Monday, January 26, 2009

Bye, Jangles

Frankie and Grampa Jimmy at this past Thanksgiving

There was no bigger fan of Frankie's blog than Frankie's Grampa Jimmy. He would check every day to see if I made a new entry. If I did--he always had a positive comment for me. If I didn't-- he wanted to know when I was going to write one. We spent a lot of time with Jimmy and Frankie loved and cherished every minute. So did Jimmy. He would drop anything for her...even a Pistons or Red Wings game, and I defy you to find me a bigger sports fanatic than Jimmy. Although he
saw Frankie quite often, he never got enough of her so frequent phone calls and blog check-ins helped fill the gaps on days he was not with us.

Unfortunately, he is no longer with us at all.

We lost Jimmy, very unexpectedly, on January 18th. We were not prepared and we had no idea it was coming. It just came, and now Grampa Jimmy is gone. We were robbed of one of the greatest, kindest, sweetest men this earth will ever know and we all miss him terribly.

It has been said that over 700 people showed up for Jimmy's funeral. Everyone, EVERYONE liked Jimmy. When I showed Frankie his obituary picture and asked "who is that?" Frankie exclaimed "Gampa!" It is very important to me that Frankie remembers her Grampa's happy face, how special he was, and how lucky we were to have him in our lives.

I said a few words at his funeral and I hope that when Cody publishes this installment of blog entries for Frankie, the words will help preserve her Grampa Jimmy's memory:

When my mom called me on Saturday to let me know that Jimmy was in ICU, I instantly started preparing for the worst. My initial thoughts went to my mom. My mom and Jimmy had the best marriage ever. What was SHE going to do if he didn't make it? They did everything together from running our family business to Saturdays at Trader Joes. My mom...I was so worried about my mom. It didn't, however, take long for me to abandon my mother's prospective situation because I suddenly realized I had something else to concern myself with: ME. It was, after all, Jimmy who always said: "It's Robyn's world--the rest of us just live in it."

If something happened to Jimmy, what would happen to ME?

This man was not like a father to me, he WAS a father to me. What in the world was I supposed to do without Jimmy?

I have spent almost every day for the past 10 years with Jimmy. We worked together, we had lunch together-- we even liked each other enough to do social things together not because we had to, but because we WANTED to. He loved hanging out at my house playing with Frankie, watching sports with Cody, or giving Floyd doggie treats he did not need that he thought I didn't know about.

We spent a lot of time with my mom and Jimmy because they were fun. Jimmy made everything fun. Holidays, road trips, fundraisers--even my mom was more fun (not that you're not fun, Mom, but well, you're not "Jimmy fun.") Yes, we bickered off and on, but we never once had a fight outside of our OSU/UofM rivaly which was just stupid because... well, I'm not going to slam Jimmy's team because he's not here to defend them but I'll just say 42-7 and be done with it.

I wish I could say that Jimmy made me a better person, but he didn't. He loved me, embraced me and laughed at me for EXACTLY who I am, and to me--that is even better. I recently started seeing him do the same for my daughter, Frankie. He and my mom babysat for Frankie quite a bit and I always loved coming home to hear his commentary from his evening with my girl.

I realized the last time they babysat that Jimmy was starting to talk about Frankie the same way he would talk about me, with love in his heart and pride in his eyes. He was also very excited about Kid 2 coming in June and I'm so SO sad that she is is going to miss out on knowing how warm and amazing her grandpa was...but at least she'll never have to know just how hard it is to lose him.


Bye, Jimmy Angles. We miss you terribly.

19 comments:

Judi said...

I'm so sorry, JWannabe. So very sorry. If you show Frankie photos of him constantly and consistently, then she will remember him. I have memories of VERY early childhood because my mom did this. I remember being there, smells, others who were present, all of it, and these are precious. Tell her the stories of what was happening in the photos. I promise you that she'll remember. Hugs to you all, Skye

Ava's family said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss.
I think the world would be a much better place if every child had a Grampa Jimmy. I'm so sorry that Frankie's Grampa Jimmy was taken away much too soon. My heart goes out to your family.

FinsUp said...

What a loss for your family and, to her you speak of him, the world. Thinking of you guys.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss! I wish I could say something to make you feel better but I know that no words will ever take the sting away of losing someone so close. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Unknown said...

A very beautiful entry. I'm thinking of you guys.

Deb and Sean said...

Cyber hugs ....

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Your tribute was beautiful - I obviously never me Jimmy, but, reading your words, I got choked up. My thoughts and prayers are with your and your family ..

Shawnstribe said...

(((((((HUGS))))) to a very special family!!!!!!!!
no words can make justice to what you guys are feeling.
just more (((((HUGS)))))
xxx
s

Anonymous said...

I know of you and your family from my participation in the adoption forum. I was an avid reader of your posts there. I follow this blog when my kids give me a break. (I'm sure you know what I mean.)

I'm saddened to hear of your recent loss. I read some of your father's comments in the forum. I can see why you speak of him here the way you do. I'm sure that Frankie will never forget him.

Trish

John said...

I am so sorry for you and your family. Know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. We miss y'all.

Sharon said...

You have such a way with words. I'm sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

nice site

visit
http://www.parenting-wikipedia.blogspot.com
http://www.earlyhood.blogspot.com

FinsUp said...

We would love to hear how everyone is doing. Thinking about you!

Leslie and Fin

Shawnstribe said...

me too, please keepin touch
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
s

Karin said...

I stopped by to ask how things are going but I see finsup and shawnstribe beat me to it. I've thought a lot about you since this post... hope all's well.

Karin

~Robyn (www.dimsumanddoughnuts.com) said...

Hi guys! I'm so sorry I have been so bad about a new entry. I haven't had the same motivation without Jimmy around but I know I need to get on it and I will. Thank you all for checking in with me. You guys are so nice. XOXOXOXO

Elissa said...

Wow, every time I come visit you have huge news. I am so sorry you lost Jimmy. There are no words to make it better, but there's nothing like a two-year-old and a new baby on the way to help you smile through it all. And there's no one I know but you who could still be so funny even amidst a tragic situation. Surely your words at the funeral made everyone smile, and I know your hilarity (is that a word?) is helping your mom through this.

Summer and Stuart said...

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know how much I've missed your blogging.. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers :)

Shawnstribe said...

Im still MISSING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
just a lil enrty pleae : )
xxx
s