Sunday, May 3, 2009

I've Loved These Days

Chinese New Year





"No, Floyd. No, Floyd!"






When I asked her if she wanted a sip of my smoothie, I didn't think she'd slam the rest of it.


Happy Birthday to me!



Uncle D and Nana!


I fit perfectly on top of Mommy's baby bump!



Oh, I wanted this!




"Whoa, Grammy, this is a good one!!!"

Oy...opening all these presents is exhausting. When do we do cake?



I don't have time for a fork. I need to just use my hands to shove it in.






Ever since I was around 19 or 20 years old, I have always considered "I've Loved These Days," by Billy Joel, to be the representative song for my life. I'm assuming that everyone has at least one song that sums up their life and for me "I've Loved These Days" is it.

It came on my IPOD when I was walking Floyd this morning and I realized that although it may lend itself more towards the years before Cody, Frankie and even Floyd, there are still several parts that presently remain true--namely, the title.


Frankie just recently turned two-years-old (she loves to tell you that if you ask her) and as I look back on our brief time with her, there are already a montage of memories and experiences to behold. Some are sad, some are scary, some are funny, some are triumphant and some are frustrating, but there is one common thread that not only holds all of the memories together-- it has also led us to the following conclusion:


The kid we picked up is not the same kid that is living with us today.


I'm not sure when it happened, or how it happened, but I dare anyone to disagree that Ms. Frankie Jade Coden has become a product of her parents. She is us. She is a complete and total mixture of her father and myself. It is absolutely uncanny. In fact, she is MORE than us. She is amplified and she is overemphasized. She is actually an exaggerated version of us.

For example, When I walk through the mall, I usually have a smile on my face and my eyes are constantly moving so I don't miss anything. When Frankie walks through the mall, she has no trouble keeping up with me and she has the same smile on her face, but she has to take it to the exteme. She has to wave and say"Hi" to everyone who passes by like she is the Ambassador of Somerset Mall, she has to go into each and every store, and she has to keep her sunglasses on because, well... I don't really know why she has to keep her sunglasses on, but she does.

What else? Oh, there's more...

It is no secret to anyone who knows me that I love cake. Frankie doesn't just love it, she lives for it. Cake trumps everything. I know, I know--who doesn't like cake? BUT, besides me, I don't really know of anyone who loses complete and total focus when cake is in the vicinity. If we prompt "Who wants cake?" It is undoubtedly my kid who yells "Me!!!!" the loudest. She is either first in line or the first one at the table, impatiently waiting for her cake--and if there is ice cream to go with it, all the better. What's more, since she is invariably the first one to finish, she has no shame about going right up to the hostess, plate in hand, and saying "I...want... sum... moah... cake... pahleez." And, really, who can refuse that?

It's like I birthed her. I can't even believe I didn't. And she's not just mine--she's Cody's too:

It kills me when Cody pulls out the CD of all the different bugles from camp and we play the morning wake-up "Reveille" call. Frankie goes crazy. She starts dancing and going nuts. She was only there one summer and camp is IN HER. It's in her like it's in her daddy. It's a natural fit, for both of them. Cody has been singing "Friends and Taps" before we put her to bed most nights and we realized last night that she is actually starting to learn the words.

There is no shortage of self confidence in Frankie and it's very rare that we see a shy or sad side. She is a happy, funny, bright, resilient and well-adjusted kid who is living and loving her life. She wakes up in a good mood every morning excited for what her new day will bring. It's infectious. I'm so proud of who she is and I'm constantly amazed by something new every day. There are parts of me that wish I could bottle and preserve her because I can't imagine her being more fun than she is right now.


Am I going to miss the carseats and diapers? No, but I will miss the "OK, Mah-mee!" when I ask her to throw something out, put something back or throw her sippy in the sink... Am I going to miss the backaches that come from bending over at bathtime? No, but I will miss when the frequent trips that Frankie makes to the junk drawer, pulling out Snickers or Kit Kats at 7:30 A.M. and saying "These??" and me replying: "No, silly goose! It's 7:30 in the morning. You don't need candy at 7:30 in the morning! Go put those back, please" and she laughs while repeating "No, silly goose..." and puts the candy bar away, but quickly bounces back with a big smile, a sucker or a bag of chips pleading: "These??" ...Am I going to miss "I want Barney!" 20 times a day? No, but I will miss how much I love hearing her say "Thank you!" to anyone who gives her something and "Bye, see-ya!" to anyone who will listen as we are leaving. She is sweet and she is scrumptious and she makes everyone around her feel special.

I love the "Master of Obvious" role she has taken on as of late. "That's a flower! That's a mailbox! That's a doggie! That's an apple!" It's not unusual for us to tell her something once and she will remember it and point it out when we see it again. I have no idea if that is normal, and I really don't care because to me, it's amazing. It's all just amazing.

It has been some kind of ride with Frankie Jade and I can't wait to see how the road unfolds when Kid 2 comes to town next month. I'm hoping, as the big sister, that she helps teach the little one how to behave and communicate much in the same way Floyd has helped teach Frankie how to be "nice, nice" and say "I'm sorry."


There's no sense in speculation because, naturally, only time will tell what's in store for our family. I'm quite confident, however, that we will live through many, many more rough patches and long nights, hysterical moments and family jokes, awe-inspiring incidents and parental scares-- but for now I can honestly say, without reservation or hesitation, that I have really and truly loved these days.

30 comments:

Cody said...

I love my wife more than any man has ever loved a woman. She is as perfect as this post. XoXo

Judi said...

JWB, yes, it's LIFE. I'll miss your blog.
Skye

cb said...

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who has loved you sharing them with us! Thank you! Been looking forward to seeing updated pictures....looking even more forward to seeing the Coden clan up north later this summer.

FinsUp said...

Thank you for the pictures and the news. What a great family you all make!

Unknown said...

that was a wonderful reflection. it's been a joy watching her grow, and i'm so glad i'll get to experience it first-hand all summer.
say it, coden

Anonymous said...

You're someone's mom...amazing reflection and dialogue. I am so proud for you.

xo,
a, arpp, l, n

Anonymous said...

It's hared to believe that over a year has gone by. Life goes quickly, especially when you are having fun! We've treasured our time together and we know that we have an eternity yet to go. Frankie is so lucky to have you two, Floyd, and Kid 2. Loved keeping up with her life so far. We will always be there.
XOXOXOXXO, N,E,E,J,Z

JMM said...

Really? I've held back tears for almost a week and now I am a hysterical mess ... how beautiful you Codens are and I am so glad to know that I can continue to be a part of the story!

Karin said...

What a great post~ you express yourself so well and I love hearing about Frankie...
Take Care,

Karin

Anonymous said...

Great post!
Can't believe how big Frankie is getting and how
she has grown.
Pregnancy looks good on you and i think you guys will
do well as a bigger family.
Some people got it, some people don't!
Mak and i will be back in Michigan soon so maybe
we can get together for some play time before camp.

Take Care,
Kerry & Mak :)

Anonymous said...

It takes a lot to move me and get me to read a blog.

I love yours...............

You have to at least keep it going until oh about 6-12 months after that bump is no longer a bump..............

Pretty Please
ldw4mlo

Rachel said...

What a beautiful post - and so true! I share so many feelings with you about my little girl. Even though she is not my first, she is so different than the boys. I will miss your blog (as I have over the last several months), but I'm happy I'll get to see you in person!

You are a great mom and Frankie is a reflection of that.

Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Great post. It really touched me.

I check your blog constantly for updates. Have always appreciated your honesty and humor.

Anonymous said...

It's been special getting to know Frankie through this blog and I'll be very sad to miss out knowing #2....so I hope after a while you'll share with us all. I know it's rough sometimes and time consuming, but you are so very good at it and you've made us all expect the updates and pictures.....we're spoiled by you!

Have a safe and easy delivery and a wonderful summer. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it. Love you, Karen K

Shawnstribe said...

Yay, missed ya girly!!!!!
So proud of you guys, the mystery of adoption....yep we all morph : )
i love it.
You guys are awesome
Can't wait for baby 2, pls keep us posted
xxx
s

ord1226 said...

From Great Uncle Joel:

Ok, How much, how much for the little girl?

Aunt Mae thinks she is precious and cannot wait to meet her and hold Frankie in her arms.

Sharon said...

What a great update!

Anonymous said...

OK, one piece missing little one number 2.

Please one more update.

Hope all is/went well

LDW

~Robyn (www.dimsumanddoughnuts.com) said...

Hello! I do have an update! On June 25 at 11:09 PM, we welcomed a beautiful 6.7 oz baby girl named Jaye Adrea Coden into our lives and she has been making us smile and keeping us up all night ever since.She is so sweet and very smiley. We are amazed by her and so thankful. Thanks for following our lives and I hope you're having a good summer!-R

FinsUp said...

I am so happy Miss Jaye is here safely! Congratulations on two wonderful daughters!

Anonymous said...

So glad all went well. Congrats to all, hope big sis is enjoying her senior but no longer only princess status.

Will very much miss the blog, I don't follow many but yours was a favorite.

I can only imagine the stories about the labor, the weight, the difference between jet lag and birth, and so on............

Enjoy them like crazy

Anonymous said...

Sorry the above was from LDW

Anonymous said...

I know the first year is killing, especially with two little ones, but.... please, please blog!(Yep, I am begging here :)). I have always loved your blog and check constantly. Congrats to you both on your precious little girl. I would love to see an update on both girls (and mum and dad too of course)

Stef from Holland

Anonymous said...

Belated Congratulations! I keep checking your blog for updates on your new little one and just now thought of coming to the comments section. I absolutely love your writing!
Lori Guth
www.ourislandfamily.com
PW - IslandFamily

The Adventures of Jing and Ying said...

Robyn,

My mom is now reading your blog and loves your writing. We're both wondering when you'll start posting to your blog again. We hope all is well with your family.

Kylie & Sophie's mom (from RQ)

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to get a comment on here! I stopped writing awhile ago and just assumed no one read this blog anymore. I have hung up my blog writing nights but Frankie has 3 books documenting her first year with us and I hope she loves them one day. Frankie is doing great and everyday is the best day of her life. She's in love with her very cute baby sister, Jaye Adrea, who smiles all the time and hates napping. Thank you for keeping up with us. It was a great ride. We're on Facebook under Robyn Coden if you are ever in the mood to see updated pictures of Frankie. XOXO

Anonymous said...

I really miss this blog and keep checking back hoping it opened up again.

There is no other blog writer that cracked me up like you did!

Best Wishes! Miss Ya!

Adoption of Jane said...

She is as cute as a Button!!!

Leah Mei said...

I hope you get a chance to visit our blog. Our daughters look so much alike!

~Robyn (www.dimsumanddoughnuts.com) said...

I started a new Blog! Please come visit us if you haven't already...
www.dimsumanddoughnuts.blogspot.com
Hope to see you over there!